Monday, March 3, 2008

Yoga

So after a week of pretty straightforward crossfit exercises, I can say that I'm feeling alot better, aside from my knee which has been killing me. One of the bad things about having a rebuilt knee is that I have to pay attention to how I move or it gets tweaked something fierce. I've been wearing a brace, but I've read that it can be bad to wear a brace all the time, so I try not to.

So last week while on one of my forums that caters to the gutterfightin', knife and stick fightin', gunslingin', rifleman, hunter, survivalist, mixed martial artist, outlaw patriot crowd, I saw that a couple of guys had started two different threads on Yoga.

Now normally I'd consider yoga to be for the foofy, granola eating hippy nutballs that worship The Goddess and tune their chakras with crystals carved under the light of a full moon during the summer solstice by a naked green-haired twenty three year old tribal girl with ritual scarring while covered with a pigment of crushed jimsonweed paste, but apparently the hardcore and insane Dog Brothers, stick fighters extraordinare, have many good things to say about yoga, and in particular YRG yoga.

The first thread was about this site, describing yoga positions for easing lower back pain.

http://www.fitsugar.com/409369

Since my lower back was feeling pretty sore that morning, I decided to try it out, and lo and behold, my back stopped hurting, so I then switched to the other thread on Yoga for Regular Guys. Linked to the thread was a video and product info for YRG, a yoga program by Diamond Dallas Page, a former pro-wrestler who's gone into this fitness guru stuff.

The video was of a man named Arthur Boorman, a disabled vet who'd rebuilt himself using DDP's yoga program. If you don't find his story touching and inspirational, you just don't have any feelings at all.

http://www.yrgworkoutllc.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=134&Itemid=64

Along with the link, Dallas Page started posting on the forum I'm on, giving out some explanations and inspiration. I found him to be a class act, and figured I'd give his stuff an honest effort.

So I ordered some dvds, the 50+ (pounds or years), the Yoga for Regular Guys I, and I'll be starting this program the day it gets here.

So family, if you see me slacking, feel free to call me on it. I'll need some some good, positive negative reenforcement.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Maybe I should try the Yoga for Regular Guys. I tried yoga once. It was when I was first pregnant. I can't say what strange and sadistic force took over to make me think it was a good idea. After two tries...I sold it on Ebay.